CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Cleveland-Akron area has made a list of 20 ‘Top Mosquito Cities’ in the country.
The list, compiled by Orkin, puts Cleveland-Akron at No. 17. At the top of the list was Atlanta, Chicago and Washington. No other Ohio cities were listed.
Orkin compiled the list calculating the number of mosquito customers serviced in 2014.
Orkin says June, July and August are prime mosquito months in most areas. Because of warmer temperatures in the southern part of the U.S., the season can extend from April to October.
The following are tips to help protect against mosquito bites:
- Apply an EPA-registered insect repellent before heading outside.
- Wear long sleeves and pants outside from dawn to dusk, which is prime time for most mosquito activity.
- Empty any standing water from bird baths, flower planters as well as toys and playground equipment outside the home to help prevent water from collecting. Mosquitoes only need a small amount of water – just a few inches – to breed.
- Clean gutters and downspouts regularly or cover them with mesh to help prevent leaves and debris from collecting and holding water.
- Make sure screens around the home, both on windows and doors, fit tightly and have no holes to help keep mosquitoes from making their way into the house.
- Eliminate standing water inside the home that may attract mosquitoes to spaces like kitchen sinks and pet bowls.