CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio (WJW)– The Chagrin Falls Popcorn Shop is not having its traditional popcorn drop this year.
The annual event to ring in the new year will not happen because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the shop created a different kind of display.
“We wanted to make a giant popcorn ball piñata with 2020 and bash the heck out of it, but again that’s a crowd gatherer. So we nixed that. We’re going to have a toilet on display and flush 2020 down the drain in front of the Chagrin Falls Popcorn shop,” the shop said.
Last year’s drop featured a popcorn ball weighing a whopping 240 pounds. The shop said it plans for the event to return in 2021.
The popcorn shop will also have a virtual countdown on Facebook beginning at 11:40 p.m. Thursday.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Prince fans head to Paisley Park five years after death
- Bowler adds father’s ashes to ball, rolls perfect game
- Show us your Northeast Ohio April snow photos!
- LIVE Blog: Spring snow snaps branches and weighs down powerlines, causing closures and crashes
- Snow ends, lake effect lingers in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio