New Details: 2 Dead in High-Speed Police Chase

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland police say two people are dead following a police chase that started in downtown Cleveland just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

A police officer involved in the chase tells Fox 8 News it started at 205 W. St.Clair Avenue when the suspects drove by two officers on the sidewalk and fired shots at them.

The officers got in their car and started chasing the suspect's vehicle.

The pursuit lasted about an hour and involved 80 police cars from nearly every district. The chase went through three cities.

The officer said during the chase, the suspects were firing shots through the car windows at the other officers.

Speeds during the chase reached 120 miles-per-hour.

The suspects tried to exit downtown, but were going too fast and lost a tire at Dead Man's Curve.

According to our source, the suspect lost another tire a short time later leaving him with two tires.

While on two tires, he rammed a police car.

The chase finally ended at Heritage Middle School on Terrace Road in East Cleveland.

The officer said when the suspects fired again at officers, 13 officers returned fire, firing hundreds of rounds.

Heritage Middle School was closed Friday, while the matter is being investigated. Staff members were told to report to Prospect Elementary School on Stanwood Rd.

The windshield of the suspects’ car was full of bullet holes.

Detective Jennifer Ciaccia of the Cleveland Police Department told Fox 8 News two suspects died. She also said no officers were injured.

“I was sitting in my bedroom and I heard at least 18 to 20 gunshots and a whole bunch of police cars rolling,” a woman, who did not want to be identified, told Fox 8 News reporter Kevin Freeman.

Freeman asked, “Did you come out? What did you do?”

“No, I didn’t come out. I started to just get on the ground, but I just heard that and that was it,” the woman said. “I knew it was a shootout going on, but I didn’t know, you know, how extreme it was. But I figured it was something serious.”

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office arrived at the scene Friday morning.

Investigators said the police cruiser and suspect vehicle were towed for processing.

Stick with Fox 8 News and for the latest details on this developing story.

FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral

continue reading override