WILLOUGHBY HILLS, Ohio (WJW) — The Willoughby Hills Police Department shared video of a black bear in a resident’s backyard near Manakiki Golf Course late Sunday night.
The post says black bears are omnivores and opportunistic eaters, usually going for grasses, berries and insects but they will venture into unsecured garbage cans and bird feeders.
Another bear sighting was in Mentor near Johnnycake Road and 306.
To avoid a black bear visit in your yard, police say to keep these precautions in mind:
- secure garbage cans in a garage or shed
- don’t leave small pets alone and unmonitored outside
- rethink your birdfeeder location
- keep your BBQ grill clean and free of drippings
Police say if you do encounter a black bear, follow these tips from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources:
- Act calm and do not run
- Warn the bear that you are near; talk in a firm, calm voice
- Allow space between you and the bear; step aside and back away slowly
- Raise your hands above your head to appear larger if the bear approaches
- Exit the area
To report black bear sightings, contact the ODNR District Wildlife Office or click here.