Police responded to a home in the 700 block of Roselle Avenue just before midnight.
When officers arrived they found the 8-year-old Mikayla Pickett with a gunshot wound.
She was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital where she later died.
Police say Pickett was in the backyard of the house at the time of the shooting. They believe she was shot in the back.
There was a large gathering of teens at the home before shots were fired by an unknown suspect or suspects. Detectives believe the suspects were outside the home and fired multiple shots.
There have been no arrests.
A spokesperson with Akron Public Schools confirmed to FOX 8 that Pickett was a student at Portage Path Community Learning Center.
No additional information is being released at this time. However, those who know anything that could help with this investigation are asked to call the Akron Police Department Detective Bureau at (330) 375-2490 or (330) 375-2TIP. You can also call Summit County Crimestoppers at (330) 434-COPS.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Carole Baskin of ‘Tiger King’ fame sued for defamation
- Ohio issues travel advisory for five states due to coronavirus spread
- ‘A bizarre incident’: Brown bear breaks into the Alaska Zoo, kills popular alpaca
- Ohio elections leaders still looking for more than 20-thousand poll workers
- Car crashes into house in Howland, killing man inside