A teenage girl, two teenage boys and a three-year-old boy are among the deceased. The other homicide victims were adult men.
The three-year-old’s death prompted response from Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
“Our city’s collective heart breaks… There are simply no words to describe such a heinous, unconscionable act of cowardice to shoot at a toddler,” Lightfoot wrote on Twitter.
The child was in a car with his 27-year-old father Saturday night when a suspect in a blue Honda pulled up and fired into their vehicle.
A bullet grazed the man’s abdomen. The child was shot in the back. He was pronounced dead at an area hospital.
There were also multiple nonfatal shootings across the city this weekend.
Among the victims are several teenage boys and a 64-year-old woman.
The news outlet says the woman was sitting inside her home when bullets flew through her window, striking her in the arm. She was taken to the hospital in fair condition and is expected to make a full recovery.
Police believe she was not the shooter’s intended target.
As of 12 p.m. Sunday, more than 60 people had been shot in the city over the past three days. WLS is routinely updating their report with the latest numbers and victim information as authorities provide it.
LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX 8:
- Local business owners optimistic for end of Ohio’s coronavirus health orders
- Family grieving loss attributed to ‘COVID psychosis’
- Middle school student helps community get new street lamp in effort to combat light pollution
- Cleveland police search for missing 81-year-old man with dementia, mental health disorders
- Officials: Ohio woman stabs, injures 3-year-old boy walking to school bus