CLEVELAND - A new trial is set for Monday for 3 men who were convicted of murder and did nearly 20 years in prison, but multiple sources tell the Fox 8 I-Team they expect the charges to be dropped.
The men have become known as the "East Cleveland 3," Eugene Johnson, Derrick Wheat, and Laurese Glover did time for an East Cleveland murder they always said they had not committed.
Last year, Cuyahoga County Judge Nancy Russo ruled the men deserved a new trial. Questions had been raised about evidence withheld, and a key witness had recanted her statement.
The men have been back on the streets since then waiting to find out if they'll have to stand trial again. Wednesday, lawyers on both sides of the case met to talk about the possible testimony of an old witness who'd just recently been found once more.
But again, multiple sources close to the case, expect it to be dropped at the start of the new trial.
We reached out to Cuyahoga County Prosecutors.
A spokesman emailed us and said he could only tell us the trial is set for Monday.
CLICK HERE to read more.