AKRON, Ohio (WJW)– There is now $7,500 in reward money for information in the murder of 8-year-old MiKayla Pickett.
Summit County Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward, while the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives put up $2,500. Akron police said the ATF reward is separate.
MiKayla was at a birthday party at a house on Roselle Avenue in Akron at about 11:45 p.m. Friday when a suspect or suspects fired shots. The little girl was shot and killed.
A 14-year-old girl was shot in the leg. Akron police said her injury was non-life threatening.
MiKayla was a student at Portage Path Community Learning Center.
Anyone with information should call the Akron Police Department Detective Bureau at 330-375-2490 or 330-375-2Tip, or Summit County Crimestoppers at 330-434-COPS. Text TIPSCO with your tips to 274637. Callers can remain anonymous. You can contact ATF at 1-88-ATF-TIPS. People can also email ATFTips@atf.gov or contact ATF through its website.
Akron has seen four homicides in five days. Police Chief Kenneth Ball said the city’s homicide rate is up by 50 percent, while calls for shots fired are up 25 percent.
“There is a disturbing trend, we have not been able to quantify it yet. We’ve seen many more 12, 13-year-olds being arrested with firearms and having other offenses that relate to those crimes of violence,” Ball said on during a virtual town hall on Tuesday.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Local mail carrier accused of hiding 335 pieces of mail in trunk of car, including ballot application
- Freebies and deals for Halloween 2020
- Man sentenced for Willoughby Hills hit-and-run that injured woman walking dog
- ‘Paul Rudd is a real hero’: Actor hands out cookies to early voters at polls in Brooklyn, video goes viral
- Port Clinton postpones Trick or Treat due to coronavirus