*Watch our previous report on the incident in the video above.*
UNIONTOWN, Ohio (WJW) — A 15-year-old boy is facing charges after he was allegedly caught on camera setting fire to beehives owned by a couple in Stark County.
According to Uniontown police, he turned himself in after surveillance photos were shared on social media. He reportedly confessed to what happened and told investigators he didn’t realize they were beehives until he got stung.
Owner Michelle Huskins told FOX 8 thousands of bees were killed in the fire.
“For somebody just to come out and be so careless with the hives and you know, have no regard for their life, it’s just very sad,” she said in a previous interview.
Police said the teen has been charged with arson and criminal damaging.
According to Stark County Beekeepers’ Association, this is the fourth vandalism of an apiary in Stark County this year. In the three previous incidents, someone used pesticides to kill the bees.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- 3 men, including Ohio entrepreneur, paying to fly to space station; Here’s what it will cost them…
- Watch Live: Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine gives update on coronavirus vaccine rollout
- Republicans reintroduce amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress
- Westlake police warn of recent residential burglaries, asking for public’s help
- Senate confirms Antony Blinken as 71st secretary of state