This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Tamir Rice Photo Credit: Timothy Kucharski
Tamir Rice
Photo Credit: Timothy Kucharski

CLEVELAND — The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner has released the identity of the 12-year-old boy who died after being shot by a Cleveland police officer Saturday evening.

Tamir E. Rice, 12, died Sunday, according to the medical examiner.

Attorney Tim Kucharski, of Richardson & Kucharski, is the attorney representing the family. He told Fox 8’s Allison Brown Sunday, “This family deserves a thorough investigation.”

Kucharski said he is doing what he can do protect the Rice family, and asked for privacy at this time.

The attorney said the family is mourning the loss of their 12-year-old loved one.

Rice was shot in the abdomen after reaching into his waistband for an airsoft gun in the playground at Cuddell Recreation Center.

According to Cleveland police, witnesses first reported around 3:30 p.m. Saturday that a male was in the playground area outside the rec center, waving a gun and pointing it at people.

One 911 caller said the suspect was “probably a juvenile” and that the gun was “probably a fake.”

*Listen to 911 call here*

When two officers arrived, they found the boy and ordered him to raise his hands. He did not comply with the officers’ orders and reached into his waistband, according to police. Shots were fired, and he was hit in the torso.

The boy was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center for treatment and passed away Sunday.

Police say the weapon the boy had was “an airsoft type replica gun resembling a semi-automatic pistol.” They said the orange safety indicator had been removed.

Union officials say the officers acted responsibly, and the boy had what appeared to be a gun.

One officer involved was taken to Fairview Hospital for treatment of an injury to his ankle.

The Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office was on scene for the investigation.

Both officers involved will be placed on administrative leave as is protocol in officer-involved shooting incidents.

The investigation is continuing.

Stay with Fox 8 News and for updates.