SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio (AP) — A 10-year-old girl was accidentally shot and killed while she and a young relative were playing with a gun inside a home, authorities said.
The shooting in Springfield Township was reported around 8:20 p.m. Friday.
Authorities have not released the names of the girl or the other child, but they said neither one lived in the home. They have not said which child was holding the gun or how they came to possess the weapon.
The girl was pronounced dead at the scene. No other injuries were reported.
The investigation into the shooting is ongoing, and no charges have been filed so far.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- 14-year-old boy with Asperger syndrome beaten to death
- Watch Live: Orange and Brown digital show assesses Cleveland’s victory over the Bengals, OBJ’s injury
- Ohio surpasses 200,000 coronavirus cases, as 2,116 new cases reported Monday
- ‘This guy is winning’: Tracy McCool offers update as husband’s cancer battle marks two years
- Scientists say ‘strange lights’ over Hawaii were likely a rocket from nearly 12 years ago