Recipe by Chef Todd DiCillo, of Zocalo Mexican Grill & Tequileria
Coffee Crust Seasoning:
- 8 Tbsp Coffee Grounds
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- In a clean bowl blend all dry ingredients together.
*If properly stored, will last up to 2 months.
Smokey Chipotle Au Jus:
- 32 Oz Beef Stock
- 2 Oz Canned Chipotle
- Warm up the beef stock.
- When stock his heated up, place into a blender and add the 2 oz of Canned Chipotles, and puree for 30 seconds.
- Place back into sauce pan and let simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
*At this point, can be refrigerated for 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Coffee Crust Beef Tenderloin with Smokey Mexican Cowboy Beans:
- 16 OZ Beef Tenderloin — Cut into 8 medallions
- As needed Coffee Crust — For dredging
- 2 Oz Red Onion — Sliced
- 1 Oz Oil — Blended
- 3 Oz Tequila
- 3 Oz Coffee
- 3 Oz Chipotle Au Jus
- 10 Oz Pinto Beans — Cooked and drained
- As needed Salt and Black Pepper
- 3 Oz Coffee
- Season the beef Medallions with the Salt and Pepper.
- Dredged through the Coffee Crust Seasoning, place to the side.
- Over Medium Heat, place a skillet over the flame and add the oil.
- Once the oil is heated, place in the sliced red onions and seasoned and crusted beef medallions.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- After the two minutes, flip over the beef medallions, turn off the heat and add the tequila, Watch out — the tequila might catch the fire!!!
- Slow turn the heat back to a medium heat and immediately add the coffee and Chipolte Au Jus.
- Reduce heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- At this point the dish is done. Enjoy with your favorite sides!