This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Recipe by Stefanie Paganini, of the Loretta Paganini School of Cooking in Chesterland
For the filling:
- 2 cups Tart Cherries, pitted
- 1 cup Mixed Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Quick Cook Tapioca
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Almond Extract
- Combine fruit, sugar and tapioca in a sauce pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add butter, salt and almond extract and stir until butter is melted.
- Remove from stove and pour or scoop filling into 6 ramekins or a 9 by 9 baking dish.
For the batter topping:
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 4 fl.oz Whole Milk
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift together AP flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Place in stand mixer bowl.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix together unsalted butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Do not over mix.
- Mix together whole milk and egg. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just to moisten. Pour batter over filling.
- Bake in 400 F oven for 20 minutes, or until crust is browned. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.