CLEVELAND, Ohio (WJW) — Astoria Cafe & Market has one of the best French Onion Soup recipes around! Chef Cory Kobrinski is the Chef de Cuisine at Astoria and he gives Fox 8’s Kristi Capel a lesson in how to make the savory soup.
Astoria was named ‘One of Cleveland’s Best 25 Restaurants’ in 2022 by Cleveland Magazine and Chef Cory creates recipes based in old-world traditions of Mediterranean cuisine.
Prep Time: 2 hour 30 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours Servings: Serves 8 Source: Chef Cory Kobrinski Astoria Cafe & Martket
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons Blended Oil
6 pounds yellow or mixed onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 medium clove garlic smashed
1 cup Dry White wine or dry sherry
4 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 gallon homemade beef stock
2 teaspoon flor de garum (optional)
2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
2 pound Gruyere cheese and Mozzarella cheese mix, shredded.
16 Crostini from french baguette cut 2″ thick
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter with blended oil over medium-high heat until foaming. Add onions, Garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Lower heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are very sweet and a golden brown color, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add white wine/sherry and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until alcohol smell is mostly gone, about 3 minutes. Add stock, thyme, and bay leaf, raise heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer then turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add flor de garum (optional), and apple cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard thyme stems and bay leaf.
4. Preheat broiler and position oven rack to top position. Set oven-proof crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Place 1/4 cup shredded cheese mix into bottom of crocks. Spoon a small amount of broth into the bottoms of the crocks. Top with 2 pieces of crostini then spoon more soup on top, nearly filling the bowls. Top with another 1/4 cup shredded cheese mix. Broil until cheese is melted and browned in spots. Garnish with Green Onion and serve.
* for toasted crostini: use a french baguette and cut into 2″ wide discs. Toss sliced bread with olive oil, salt, pepper, and grated parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Line on a baking sheet and bake in oven at 375 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.