This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
For the next few months, we'll be sharing favorite recipes from Fox 8 News in the Morning personalities and their families. Our first recipe comes from Stacey Frey. She shared her recipe for tortilla soup with the staff and it became a hit. Many staffers make it for their families on a regular basis. Now, Stacey is sharing the recipe with you!
Stacey's Southwest Tortilla Soup
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- Optional for serving: tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro and lime juice) into crockpot or slow-cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup, cut into bite-sized pieces and return to soup.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and avocado if desired.