BRUNSWICK, Ohio -- It's apple season and Mapleside Farms is ready to celebrate! Bakery director Mel Wurm is very busy this time of year, but she managed to find a few minutes to stop by the Fox 8 studio and share a recipe that had Wayne Dawson's mouth watering. Pumpkin Apple Pie with Pecan Crumble Topping combines two of Autumn's most popular flavors -- apple and pumpkin.
Mel also reminded everyone about the Johnny Appleseed Festival that happens Saturday and Sunday at Mapleside Farms. Click here for more details about this fun and delicious event.
Pumpkin Apple Pie with Pecan Crumble
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry or pie crust of choice
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (Cortland or Granny work well)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer pastry to a pie plate. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Spoon into crust.
- In another large bowl, whisk the pumpkin filling ingredients. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie.
- Top with Pecans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted into pumpkin layer comes out clean (cover edge with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.