This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Creamy Beer Cheese Soup
Recipe from Chris Hodgson, chef and owner at Hodge’s
- 1 lb. butter
- 2 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. flour
- 1 can beer
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 lbs shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter and sweat onions in the butter, season with 1 T kosher salt. Sweat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add flour to the butter onion mixture, and stir to combine. Cook 10 minutes gently until the mixture smells nutty and has turned slightly beige and thickened.
- Add beer, chicken stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add cheese in small batches, whisking to combine after each addition. Temperature is critical here. Not too hot, or too cold or soup will break.
- Add paprika and season to taste