This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Bread and Butter Pickles
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeff Jarrett, AMP 150
- 5# pickling cucumbers
- 1 ¼# white onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 7 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 ¼ teaspoons mustard seed
- 5 teaspoons celery seed
- 5 teaspoons whole all spice
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed
- Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed, all spice, and coriander seed in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the cucumbers thin, roughly 1/8” thick.
- Put the cucumbers into your desired container (mason jars, Tupperware, bucket, etc.) and then pour the hot vinegar mixture over top the cucumbers.
- Refrigerate. Allow to sit overnight for best results.