CLEVELAND, Ohio — It’s a recipe that is perfect for any Super Bowl party or Mardi Gras celebration.
Steve Schimoler is the chef and owner of Crop Rocks and he showed Fox 8’s Kristi Capel how to make Crop Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
Click here to learn more about the Mardi Gras Crawl.
Click here to learn more about Steve Schimoler’s Crop Rocks.
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, chopped (about 2 cups)
- celery stalks, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 8-10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 quarts low-salt chicken broth
- 2 pounds andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound sliced frozen okra
- 1 tsp File Powder (sassafras powder )
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Minced fresh Italian parsley
- Steamed rice
- Heat oil in heavy 13-quart pot over medium-high heat until very hot and almost smoking. Add flour and stir constantly until mixture is dark reddish brown, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and chopped celery and cook until onions are soft and brown, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cayenne and stir 2 minutes. Add, thyme, and bay leaves; bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, sausage, and chicken; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add okra and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.Season gumbo to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with minced parsley and serve with steamed rice alongside.
- Do ahead Gumbo base can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring base to simmer before continuing.