Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns with Icing
(Makes 24 rolls)
Recipe from Stefanie Paganini, Loretta Paganini School of Cooking
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. dry active yeast
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup warm milk, scalded & skimmed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Cream together sugar, butter, eggs, and salt. Add pumpkin until combined. Add flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Can add more flour if too sticky. Place in a very lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from draft from a minimum of 1 hour until dough is nearly doubled in size. Can be refrigerated overnight.
- When dough is ready, in a separate bowl mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Punch down dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/4” thick. Spread the softened butter, from the filling, evenly over the surface of the dough, and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll up the dough like a jelly roll.
- Cut the rolled dough into 1 3/4” slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, allow about 1” of space between each roll. Put rolls into a warm place and allow to double in size, approximately 30 minutes. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Ice the rolls when still warm.
Cinnamon Bun Icing
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Whip together all ingredients.