Recipes from Chef Ruth Levine, Owner of Bistro 185
Pumpkin Chili with Chicken and White Beans
- 4 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons good quality chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs ground chicken
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off the bones or left over chicken or turkey
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 cans 15 oz. white navy beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Garnish: sour cream, chopped scallions, shredded cheddar or jack cheese , tortilla chips, cilantro.
In a large pot over medium heat oil. Add onion, garlic, red pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper and sauté about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
To the same pot add the ground chicken, chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, basil, bay leaf and cinnamon. Cook together until the ground chicken is pink.
Add the chicken broth, diced tomato, pumpkin, beans, cilantro , salt and pepper to taste. Add the shredded rotisserie chicken. Cook for approximately 30- 40 minutes or until the chili is slightly thickened.
Garnish with any of the above suggestions.
Pumpkin Chicken Cheese Quesadilla
Mix ½ cup of pumpkin puree with 1 teaspoon Siraccha Chili Sauce
Spread on 2 flour tortillas
Top with shredded cheddar cheese and ½ cup cooked chopped chicken
Top each with another tortilla.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil in pan. Add tortillas and cook until they are golden brown .
Cut into wedges.