Prosciutto Wrapped Dates
- 15 Medjool pitted dates
- 1 pound chorizo, cut into 15 blocks (to fit into the dates)
- 6 slices of prosciutto, cut into thirds
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet tray with silicone baking mat or parchment.
Make an incision on one side of each date and insert a thin block of chorizo. Squeeze the date shut in your hand to secure. Wrap each date with a Prosciutto strip and secure with a toothpick. Place all the dates on the prepared sheet tray. Roast the dates in the oven until the prosciutto on top is starting to crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the dates over and repeat the process.
(Only use the instructions below if you use a domestic prosciutto or bacon
Parma Prosciutto is the best)
Remove the dates from the oven and brush both sides with the maple syrup. Return the dates to the oven until the dates are really crackly and sticky, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 3 large mild red chilies (about 3.5-inches)
- 4 small dried chile de arbol (Chile deArbol) or 4 small chilies, according to how hot spicy you want your chorizo
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
Flatten onto a sheet pan and bake in oven for 10 min at 450 degrees
Makes 2 pounds