My Town: Construction Begins on Euclid Beach Carousel Pavilion in University Circle

My Town
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UNIVERSITY CIRCLE, Ohio — A ceremonial groundbreaking was held on Tuesday to mark the return of the Euclid Beach Carousel, but this time to a different location.

The groundbreaking at the corner of East Boulevard and East 108th Street in University Circle signified that construction has begun of an all-glass pavilion which will house the carousel.

The Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel at the Western Reserve Historical Society is expected to open to the public in late 2013.

“This is one of the few working carousels still in its original town,” said Carousel Society Chair Terry Kovel. “I remember the fun and excitement when I rode a horse as a child at Euclid Beach. Soon it will bring joy to thousands of people young and old.”

The $2 million nonprofit organized project consists of plans to build the pavilion, restore the carousel, and place it within the new glass structure attached to the Western Reserve Historical Society History Center.

Work to restore and rebuild the carousel is already underway with Carousel Works of Mansfield, Ohio. The company is renowned worldwide for wooden carousel construction and restoration.

The grand carousel ran daily at Euclid Beach Park in Cleveland’s Collinwood neighborhood until the Park closed in 1969. It was sold to an amusement park in Maine where it operated for 28 years before Cleveland’s Trust for Public Land bought back the Carousel horses and chariots in 1997.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News

Stay informed: Download the FOX 8 App