Jurors to continue deliberations in trial of murdered 4-year-old Aniya Day-Garrett

Editor's note: Some of the testimony may be graphic.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -Jurors in the Aniya Day-Garrett murder trial heard closing arguments Wednesday in the cases against her mother and her boyfriend, who are accused of killing the 4-year-old little girl.

Sierra Day, 24, and Deonte Lewis, 27, are charged with aggravated murder, murder and endangering children.

During closing arguments Wednesday,  Assistant Prosecutor Aqueelah Jordan told the court when first responders arrived at the home on March 11, Aniya was by an air conditioner that was on and her body was already cold and rigid.   Jordan said, "the abuse was still ongoing while she was dying."  According to Jordan, Aniya spent her last days in a urine soaked bed.

Sierra Day's attorney, Tom Shaughnessy said the evidence will show his client did not purposely cause Aniya's death.

The attorney for Deonte Lewis defended  her client during closing arguments and said prosecutors did not prove he lived with Sierra. She said Lewis lived with his parents while he was dating Sierra. During the trial, none of the witnesses who testified ever saw Deonte Lewis harm Aniya.

Earlier Wednesday,  a forensic pathologist with the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office,  told jurors that 4-year-old Aniya suffered a stroke “weeks or months” before her death.

Sierra Day

Deonte Lewis

"This child had obvious signs of malnutrition and injury," Dr. Felo testified Wednesday.

Due to malnutrition, Dr. Felo said Aniya Day-Garrett was unable to walk at some point before she died because of the loss of muscle.

Felo told jurors Tuesday that Aniya was malnourished and weighed 26 pounds at the time of her death.

He also said she had a black eye and ruptured blisters on her legs.

Aniya Day-Garrett

The little girl died March 11, 2018.

The prosecution finished presenting its case Wednesday morning.

The case started last week.  Aniya Day-Garrett's father Mickhal Garrett was in court Wednesday.

He testified earlier this week about filing an emergency petition for custody when he noticed signs of abuse.

"I visibly observed a bruise in my daughter's chest area and on her lower back,” he said.

Jurors began deliberations Wednesday afternoon.  They resume Thursday morning.

 ***Continuing coverage here** 

Google Map for coordinates 41.499320 by -81.694361.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.