ROCKY RIVER, Ohio -- Residents at a senior home in Rocky River have returned to their homes after a natural gas leak forced them to evacuate Sunday evening.
The Rocky River Fire Department said the leak occurred at Bickford Senior Living in the 21000 block of Detroit Road.
According to Chief Scott Gilman with the Lakewood Fire Department, crews were called to the scene after a resident in the senior home smelled natural gas.
He said firefighters also smelled natural gas when they arrived on scene.
Officials then reportedly shut off the gas and evacuated 42 residents. The residents waited in ambulances from regional fire departments and in RTA buses until they were allowed to go back inside.
Gilman told FOX 8 that crews from 9 different agencies responded to the incident and were actively searching for the source of the natural gas leak.
The gas company was also on scene investigating the source of the problem.
As of 6:30 p.m. Gilman said that officials had begun running a 30 minute test on the gas line. After 20 minutes into the test result reportedly showed that there is not an issue with the line.
As of 7:30 p.m. residents were reportedly back in their homes. No one was injured.
Detroit Road heading both east and westbound at the I-90 exit ramp has now reopened.