LORAIN, Ohio-- Lorain police say an illness that left a teen hospitalized on Halloween was not a result of tainted candy.
A Lorain woman reported that her teenage son ingested tainted Halloween candy Wednesday night when the 15-year-old boy and his friends were trick-or-treating on the city's east side. The teen said he couldn't remember exactly where he was when it happened or if the sucker he allegedly consumed was already opened.
He said his tongue and then his body went numb. When he got home, his mother said he looked like a "stumbling drunk."
"They said based on his appearance when he got there, his symptoms and the fact that the Narcan took effect within 10 minutes and he was feeling better, it had to have been an opiate," said Celena Burkhammer, the boy's mother.
The Lorain Police Department originally told FOX 8 they received two complaints about Halloween candy and were investigating to find out if the cases are related.
The candy was sent to a lab for testing, police said.
Now, Lorain Police tell FOX 8 that "at this time it is believed the affects the child was experiencing and sent to the hospital for was not due to tainted candy."
They also said the "Lorain Police Department has only received one complaint and is continuing to investigate this matter."
This is an ongoing investigation. Stay with FOX 8 for updates.
Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect new information provided by Lorain Police Department.