Two suspects in Mentor gun shop break-in appear in court

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MENTOR, Ohio-- Two suspects in the attempted robbery of a Mentor gun shop that resulted in a police chase will appear in court Wednesday afternoon.

The two adults, both with visible injuries, were arraigned in Mentor Municipal Court.

Keith Ford, 21, of Cleveland, the man accused of driving at officers, is charged with felonious assault, failure to comply, and breaking and entering. He told the judge he was shot in the head and that's why he didn't stop his vehicle. His bond was set at $850,000.

James Ogletree, 22, of Cleveland, is charged with breaking and entering, robbery, failure to comply and theft of a firearm. Investigators said he has a lengthy criminal history, including an active warrant for aggravated murder in Cleveland. His bond was set at $1.1 million.

The crime happened Monday morning at Silverado Firearms on Center Street. When officers arrived, they spotted a male running from the front of the store and a vehicle coming from behind the building.

Police said the driver of the vehicle refused to stop and went directly at officers. Two officers fired four rounds at the car as it came towards them. No officers were injured.

The driver, a 15-year-old Cleveland boy, got out of the vehicle and ran away, while a passenger moved into the driver's seat and took off, going north on Center Street. The original driver later returned to the scene and turned himself in.

Mentor police chased the car, which went off the right side of the road, down an embankment and through a fence. It stopped in a parking lot on Tyler Boulevard. According to Mentor police, that's when one suspect stole a car from a medical facility and fled.

Willowick and Wickliffe police located the stolen car and chased it in North Ridgeville. The Ohio State Highway Patrol joined the pursuit, which was called off in Columbia Station.

The suspect crashed head-on with another car on Root Road. He was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center. The highway patrol said the other driver was not hurt.

Mentor police arrested a third suspect walking in the area of Tyler Boulevard and Hopkins Road. The fourth suspect, another juvenile, turned himself in Tuesday afternoon.

Continuing coverage of this story here

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.