10 students fall ill at Kenston Middle School from fumes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BAINBRIDGE TOWNSHIP, Ohio-- Several people were taken to area hospitals from Kenston Middle School Tuesday morning.

Students and faculty in two classrooms at the school on Snyder Road began complaining of the fumes at about 9:10 a.m. The building was evacuated shortly after as a precaution.

Firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene. Ten students and one staff member were taken to the hospital with dizziness. Parents were notified and met their children at the hospital.

Kenston Local Schools Superintendent Nancy Santilli said the illness was caused by fumes from a roofing adhesive on an ongoing construction project. The issue was initially reported as a possible gas leak.

Crews are ventilating the rooms and Kenston Middle School is expected to be open on Wednesday.

About 1,300 students attend the middle school.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.