Coroner: Boy died of fentanyl overdose, not choking on gum

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio coroner has concluded that a 12-year-old boy found unresponsive during a birthday sleepover died from an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl, not from choking on a piece of gum.

Columbus police tell WCMH-TV that they’re investigating how Kanye Champelle came into contact with the drug before he was found during his cousin’s party at an apartment complex in July. He died two days later.

The Franklin County coroner found no sign of an injection, and the autopsy didn’t specify how contact with the drug might have occurred.

Medics who responded to the scene removed a wad of chewing gum from the boy’s throat. The coroner determined that choking was a factor but not the cause of his death.

Google Map for coordinates 39.961176 by -82.998794.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.