Woman’s horror story will have you thinking twice about popping a pimple

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUSTIN — A woman’s horror story may have you thinking twice about popping another pimple.

Katie Wright, 21, shared her story on social media. She said she noticed a pimple near her eyebrow. “I decided to pick at what I thought was a giant, under the skin pimple because it had been hurting for awhile and got too painful to ignore,” she wrote.

She said within an hour, her face swelled up. “It felt like something was going to burst out of my skin.”

Katie went to an emergency room in Austin. She said they told her it was a serious case of cellulitis, a bacterial skin infection — it was a version of a staph infection. “Since it was on my face, there was a huge risk of it spreading to my brain or my eyes causing me to go blind,” Katie wrote.

She said it likely happened from bacteria getting onto her eyebrow pencil brush, and urged others to clean their make-up brushes.

Katie said she is finally healing and her face is going back to normal.