Family survives huge explosion that destroys their Coventry Township home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

COVENTRY TOWNSHIP, Ohio - An entire family survived the explosion that blew up their home Monday in Coventry Township.

Gabriel and Angie Hailey, two of their daughters and Angie's brother made it out safely after what is believed to have been a natural gas leak ignited. The force of the blast caused their home's ground floor to drop into the basement. The roof blew off, and then came back down also landing in the basement.

"There's no way, there's no way that you survive that, there is a God, there is a God and he saved us,he protected us, he covered us and he led us out that front door because there wasn't even a floor, we were walking on our roof to get out of that house."

The gas leak may have come from a furnace valve that was accidentally left on after some furnace work.

But the loss of all their possessions is not what the family is dwelling on.

"We're alive, that's all that matters. My most prized possessions are with me today and I'm really humbled by the fact that everything else is just material and it's going to to be replaced over time," said Gabriel.

The Gabriels have another daughter who wasn't at home at the time of the explosion.

Google Map for coordinates 41.000993 by -81.548673.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.