CLEVELAND, Ohio -- In honor of National Coffee Day, the folks at Dunkin' Donuts shared a delicious recipe for brussels sprouts that uses coffee as a tasty ingredient. Click here to learn more about Dunkin' Donuts.
Dark Roast Marinated Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tsp of Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast Coffee Grounds
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cans of Dark Beer or Stout Beer
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 3/4 lbs. thick cut bacon, cut into nickel sized pieces
- 1 oz. Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast Coffee, brewed
- 1 oz. maple syrup
- Cut off the brown ends (roots) of the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Mix them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast Coffee Grounds. Let sit for an hour.
- Put the Brussels sprouts into a 1 gallon plastic, sealable bag and add the dark or stout beer. Place in the refrigerator to marinate. We recommend marinated overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add Dark Roast brewed coffee and maple syrup to a small sauté pan. Boil on high heat and reduce down so the liquid thickens up a bit. Set off to the side.
- In a separate skillet, melt butter at medium heat. Once melted, add onion and sweat it down until golden. Set off to the side.
- Line a 12x17 inch baking sheet (make sure the baking sheet is at least 1/2” deep) with aluminum foil, and add the pieces of cut bacon to the sheet and spread out. Use a basting brush and paint the bacon with the Dark Roast coffee and maple syrup mixture.
- Place in oven and cook until the bacon crisps up. Pull out of the oven and put the bacon in a bowl, while keeping the baking sheet.
- Pull out the bag of Brussels Sprouts and drain all the beer. Add the Brussels sprouts and onions to the baking sheet and evenly spread out. Then, sprinkle the bacon pieces across the top.
- Add the remaining amount of salt and extra virgin olive oil and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Roast the Brussels Sprouts for 35-40 minutes, until crisp on the outside. Shake the pan from time-to-time to brown the sprouts evenly.