Apple & Butternut Squash Salad
Courtesy of: Chef Ryan Beck, The Burnham, Downtown Hilton
- 4 oz butternut squash, diced
- ½ gala apple, sliced and held in lemon bath
- 1.5 oz kale, washed and stems removed
- ¼ cup spelt berries, cooked and chilled
- 2 basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 2 sprigs of thyme, removed from stem
- 2 sage leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 shallot
- 1” piece of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ gala apple, seeds removed
- 2T Ohio maple syrup
- 2T Dijon mustard
- ½t fresh thyme
- 1t black pepper
- 2t kosher salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sunflower or vegetable oil
Toss the butternut squash in 1t oil, and roast at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool.
In a blender, combine all dressing ingredients and puree until smooth.
Add the kale and 1T dressing to a mixing bowl, and massage the dressing into the kale until soft.
Add in the roasted squash, apples, spelt, 1T of dressing and herbs.
Mix the salad to evenly distribute all ingredients.
Plate and enjoy!