Cavs championship home court now 60% transformed into a convention floor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND - - If it weren't for murals of former Cavs players, Quicken Loans Arena would almost be unrecognizable on the inside.

The basketball court has been replaced by a state of the art grand stage - the center piece for the 2016 Republican National Convention, now just two weeks away.

RNC convention committee spokesman Dave O’Neil says, "In a week's time, that entire structure went up. And as you can tell, there's still some work left to be done."

O’Neil adds workers are now 60% of the way complete; the remaining 40% will be done within the next 12 days.

“The big thing with the 40% as you can see, we still need to house or have seating for 2,500 delegates on the floor. And right now, it looks like they're setting up for a concert but there's lines on the floor that will delegate where certain delegations will be sitting."

The blue sections in the stands where 3,000 chairs once stood, will now be spaces for media who will be coming to Cleveland from around the country.

Back to those murals, anything that was once Cavs' signage has been or will soon be replaced by RNC logos.

Again, this massive project, which usually takes up to 8 weeks, being done in four weeks.

O’Neil says "It's going to look a lot more crisp and a lot more clean come July 18th."

Behind the scenes, some office spaces still need to be built. Workers are putting the final touches on the media suites as well.

And one interesting note here, all of the lighting built for the convention, those 150-tons of steel beams brought in, will remain inside Quicken Loans Arena.

They will be used for future concerts, sporting events and much more.

More convention coverage, here. 

Google Map for coordinates 41.496085 by -81.688639.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.