CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The attorney for Tamir Rice's family says the gazebo where the 12-year-old was shot will be torn down as soon as Monday.
Attorney Subodh Chandra says the city had discussed removing it, and it's something the family would like to see removed.
"It's the family's desire to have a tasteful memorial for Tamir in the future," Chandra said.
A statement from the city of Cleveland states:
"The city of Cleveland will begin to disassemble the gazebo at Cudell Recreation Center next week. The City had considered disassembling the gazebo at Cudell Recreation Center previously, but due to criminal, civil and administrative cases we could not proceed until it was no longer needed for evidential purposes."
Cleveland police shot and killed Tamir Rice outside Cudell Rec Center in November 2014. Police said he had an airsoft pistol that looked much more powerful, and he reached for it. A 911 caller said the gun may be fake.
But a dispatcher never told that to officers responding to the scene. Last December, the county prosecutor announced no criminal charges would be issued against the officers.
Earlier this week, the city reached a $6 million settlement with Tamir's family.