Rhode Island girl dies after choking on marshmallow at birthday party

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The family of an 11-year-old girl is in mourning after she passed away after choking on a marshmallow.

Azriel Estabrooks was dropped off at a birthday party last week when her mother got a call just an hour later, according to WJAR.

“(She said) that I need to hurry up because something happened to my daughter,” Iris, Azriel’s mother, said. “She doesn’t know what happened.”

She arrived to the home as Azriel was being put into an ambulance.

Iris said she was most upset about the fact that none of the adults at the party could tell her what happened or why Azriel had passed out.

“Because someone didn’t find her in time,” Iris said. “Someone didn’t realize she was choking on a damn marshmallow.”

She was in critical condition, but her family took her off life support late Thursday night.

There is a GoFundMe for medical expenses as well.

Read more here.

Google Map for coordinates 41.823989 by -71.412834.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.