Johnny Manziel violence case to go to grand jury Thursday as agent drops him as client
DALLAS, TX – Dallas prosecutors say they will present the family violence case against troubled NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel to a grand jury this week.
A spokeswoman for the Dallas County district attorney said the case will be presented Thursday, with a likely decision announced Monday.
Manziel, a former Cleveland Browns quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner, is accused of hitting his ex-girlfriend during a night out in January.
The ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, said in court records that Manziel dragged her back into a car as she was trying to escape him, then hit her so hard that she temporarily lost hearing in one ear.
In the meantime, Drew Rosenhaus has dropped Johnny Manziel as a client.
Last week, Rosenhaus told the troubled quarterback to seek help or he will no longer represent him. On Tuesday, the powerful agent removed his name as Manziel’s representative.
Rosenhaus, whose clientele is among the largest in the NFL, represented Manziel for only a few weeks. Rosenhaus has been an agent for 27 years, and this is the first time he’s terminated a contract with a player.
In February, Manziel’s first agent, Erik Burkhardt, said he severed his ties with the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner so Manziel could get help.
Fox 8 reached out to Manziel’s representatives, who gave us this response from him:
“I’m hoping to take care of the issues in front of me right now so I can focus on what I have to do if I want to play in 2016. I also continue to be thankful to those who really know me and support me.”
They also added:
“So many people only have one image of Jonathan but, believe it or not, he takes all this very seriously. He’s hoping that he can clear up his personal issues, start interviewing agents and see what he needs to do if he wants to play this year.”