BAY VILLAGE - One person did not survive as firefighters battled a house fire on Knickerbocker Road in Bay Village.
According to the Lakewood Fire Chief Scott Gilman, an elderly couple lived in the home and only one of them was able to make it out safely.
All of the ceilings had collapsed, so it is unknown if the home had smoke detectors.
"We have to let the smoke clear out, so they are blowing a fan so we can see where the smoldering hot spots are. There is still active fire in the attic and there is smoldering materials throughout the house," Chief Gilman said.
"I've done this a number of times and they all leave a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. It's just sad to see."
Stick with Fox 8 and Fox8.com for updates.