Identity theft can ruin your life. But there are ways to protect yourself.
Today, officials from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, the FBI and the Federal Trade Commission were here at FOX 8 to answer your questions about identity theft — how you can protect yourself, ways to avoid becoming a victim, and what to do if you’ve been a victim of this crime.
**Write our Facebook LIVE discussion below**
*FOX 8 is not responsible for the advice given during the Facebook live chat. We are simply hosting the event*
Anyone can become a victim of identity theft. **CLICK HERE to read more on how Congressman Renacci is helping others after he was a victim**
The Ohio Attorney General’s Office, the FBI, and the FTC have some great resources to help you protect yourself from identity theft. Check those out below.
From the FTC:
Protecting yourself from identity theft:
What to do if you think your identity has been stolen:
- Set up your personalized recovery plan by clicking here
- Call the companies that have the wrong identity information
- Put a fraud alert on your credit report and get a copy
- Report the identity theft to the FTC
- File a report with your local police
- Click here for important identity theft information
- Click here for the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
- Click here for information on Tax Return Fraud
From the Ohio Attorney General’s Office: