Candle started fire that destroyed Lorain home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LORAIN, Ohio-- A house in Lorain is a total loss after a fire Monday morning.

When crews arrived shortly before 7 a.m., the West Eighth Street house was fully engulfed in flames.

A smoke detector woke up the resident, but she refused to leave the porch because she couldn't find her cat. A neighbor was able to coax the woman away from the house. No one was injured.

Fire officials said a candle, which was left burning in the living room, started the blaze.

Firefighters stopped the fire from spreading to a nearby home.

Google Map for coordinates 41.462304 by -82.178265.

House fire

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.