- ¼ C. olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 C. green beans chopped
- ½ C. carrot chopped
- ½ C. celery chopped
- 2 small zucchini diced
- 2 C. shredded cabbage
- 2 C. crushed tomatoes
- 6 C. vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tbs fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 C. cannellini beans (cooked or canned and drained)
- ¾ C. cooked pasta (anything small that you like)
- ½ C. parmesan or romano grated
- *Pesto sauce to garnish if desired
Heat oil (medium heat) in a large heavy bottom soup pot or dutch oven.
Add onions and sugar. Stir gently and then cover for 15 minutes.
Uncover, gently stir and continue to cook (uncovered) for another 20 or 25 minutes. Onions will start to caramelize.
Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add carrots, celery and green beans. Cook 10 minutes.
Add zucchini and cabbage. Cook 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, broth, herbs, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 1 ½ hours.
Add beans, cover and cook ½ hour.
Gently stir in pasta and serve with parmesan or romano.
Garnish with pesto if desired.