CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Viewers of Fox 8 News in the Morning know that anchor Kristi Capel loves to eat. So you can imagine how happy she is that her Uncle Steve and her grandmother (AKA "Bocca") are in town for Thanksgiving. Kristi's family shared three delicious family recipes for the holiday.
Mamma's Southern Dumplings
- 1 cup flour per 1/4 water
- pinch salt and pepper
- Oregano or basil (for color)
- Roll mixture on floured countertop, cut into strips, and drop into boiling turkey stock.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes stirring occasionally so dumplings don't stick.
- Remove meat and place turkey carcass in six quarts of water.
- Reduce by 2/3 on very low heat for approximately 8 hours. Add diced turkey giblets and turkey meat
Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Toasty Gorilla Grains Granola Topping
- 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- dash of salt (or salt to taste)
- 6 T. brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 sticks salted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup Gorilla Grains granola
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 2 qt. casserole or 9x13" baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar eggs, vanilla and almond extracts, milk, and melted butter.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients and spoon over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes, until hot and the topping is browned.
Uncle Steve's Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce
- 2 pkg. whole cranberries (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice and pulp of 1 orange
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier liqueur
- Combine water, sugars, zest, orange juice and salt.
- Add the cranberries.
- Simmer gently and stir occasionally for approx. 9 minutes. (If you desire a chunkier sauce, pull out some of the whole cranberries midway and return to the mix at the end.)
- Remove from heat and add Grand Marnier.
- Serve warm or chilled.