Dozens displaced after apartment building fire in Chardon

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


CHARDON, Ohio -- Dozens of residents have been displaced after a fire broke out at an apartment building in Chardon Monday morning.

The apartment building is located in the 300 block of Wilson Mills Road.

Investigators say the fire started in a common area laundry room. They suspect a boiler problem was the cause of the fire.

No firefighters or residents were injured. One cat died in the fire.

Firefighters say two apartments were damaged by the fire, and two apartments below the fire have water damage. More than 32 apartments and 45 people were affected by the fire.

The Red Cross and the apartment building management is working to find temporary housing.