Dog that ate BBQ skewer wins award for most unusual pet insurance claim

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PRINCETON, W.Va. — A dog that ate a barbecue skewer has won a national competition for most unusual pet insurance claim.

The 5-year-old Boxer named Curtis beat out 11 other pets in online voting for Nationwide’s Hambone Award, named in honor of another dog that ate a ham while waiting to be rescued from a refrigerator.

Valerie Mould of Princeton says Curtis ate the skewer during her daughter’s birthday party in 2014. Curtis was taken to Virginia Tech’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital, but doctors couldn’t find the skewer. Curtis was sent home, but returned to Blacksburg a few months later. This time, veterinarians found the skewer when they operated to remove a baseball-sized mass between the dog’s stomach and pancreas.

**Watch the video above for more on the Hambone Award**

Curtis is now doing fine. Click here to read Curtis’ Hambone Award nomination page.