Lying comedian on 9/11 deceit: ‘I’m ashamed of what I did’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WARNING: The video clip contains language some viewers may find offensive

NEW YORK, New York — Steve Rannazzisi says he will be going back to work as a standup comedian.

And when he does, he expects he will be the target of hecklers.

Rannazzisi, who stars in FXX’s “The League,” is the comedian who has been going around telling people he was in the World Trade Center during the Sept. 11 attacks. He made the remarks to fellow comedians and talked about it on several podcasts.

Rannazzisi says he was in New York when the attacks happened, and, like so many others, left Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. But he now admits he was not in the World Trade Center as he previously said he was.

He went on Howard Stern’s satellite show to apologize for his deception — and says he will deal with the heckling “as it comes.”

Rannazzisi told Stern the lie “just slipped out” shortly after he moved from New York to Los Angeles right after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“You have like 15 seconds, I think, to kind of go ‘hold on. I’m sorry, that’s not true.’ And if you pass that 15 seconds it becomes a thing where now I have to be the guy who’s very strange and weird and says that I just lied about 9/11,” he said.

Rannazzisi told Stern he knows his apology won’t be enough for everyone — especially those that lost loved ones on Sept. 11.

“I’m ashamed of what I did. I’m ashamed of telling that lie. That horrible, immature lie. That’s what I’m ashamed of,” he said.