Bar fined after liquid nitrogen cocktail forced teen to have stomach removed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UNITED KINGDOM — An 18-year-old girl had to have her stomach removed after being served a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen on her eighteenth birthday.

Now, TIME reports that the bar that served the drink must pay a $155,000 fine for improperly serving it.

Gaby Scanlon, now 20, was reportedly at Oskar’s Wine Bar in 2012 celebrating her 18th birthday. She was given a shot of ‘Nitro-Jagermeister’, which contained liquid nitrogen for a steaming effect.

The use of liquid nitrogen in drinks is legal. But consuming the drinks before the liquid nitrogen evaporates can be dangerous.

Scanlon claimed that she wasn’t told how to properly drink the shot.

“Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth,” she said in court, according to BBC. “Straight away I knew something was not right. My stomach expanded.”

BBC reports that the ordeal left her close to death.

The liquid nitrogen had burned a hole in her stomach, which had to be removed. Scanlon was in the hospital for three weeks.

The bar pleaded guilty to a count of “failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment,” according to BBC.

Read more here.

 

Google Map for coordinates 55.378051 by -3.435973.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.