Yogurt Recipe (for 1 quart)
- 1 quart of milk (can be non-fat, 2% or whole)
- 1/4 – ½ cup of yogurt in a bowl (any style will work – I use plain Greek)
- Berries (optional)
- Granola (optional)
- Stainless steel pot with lid or heavy ceramic pot
- Spoon to stir
- A large towel (or blanket)
- Pour milk in pot and turn the heat up to medium-high. Do not cover the pot. Use spoon to stir as milk heats up.
- Watch the milk as it can quickly overflow once it’s hot.
- Once the milk reaches 180F, remove from heat.
- Let it cool down until it reaches 110 F. You can place pot in cool water and stir to expedite cooling.
- Pour ½ – 1 cup of warm milk into the yogurt in a bowl and whisk together. Add this mix to the pot of cooled milk – stir together completely.
- Cover the pot with a lid, wrap it in a blanket, and put it in a turned-off oven for about 5 hours. Do not turn the oven on. You can turn on oven light for a heat source.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the yogurt in a bowl. Refrigerate. You can remove excess fluid (whey) if a thicker consistency is desired.
- When ready to eat, you can add flavorings, cut-up fruits, granola, honey, etc.