In honor of Mother's Day, Fox 8's Kristi Capel had some culinary fun with her daughter Kyndal and Chef Kimberly McCune Gibson. Chef Gibson also brought her daughter Harper and shared a fun recipe that is perfect for toddlers.
Click here to learn more about Kimberly McCune Gibson and Hungry Bee Catering.
Walking Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow “fluff”
- 1 heaping cup finely chopped angel food cake or pound cake cubes
- 8-10 ice cream cones (flat bottom)
- Place chopped strawberries in bowl, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and toss to coat. Let sit for about 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Beat ½ cup heavy cream and the marshmallow cream on high speed with a stand or hand mixer until soft peaks form. Beat the remaining heavy cream in a separate bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the marshmallow cream mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- Working with one cone at a time, create 6 layers of cake, strawberries and marshmallow cream. To start, add a small spoonful of the cubed cake to the bottom of each cone, pressing down gently into the cracks with your finger or a spoon. Add a small spoonful of the strawberries, pressing down gently, then top with a spoonful of the marshmallow cream. Repeat those layers once ending with marshmallow cream on top. (How much you use will depend greatly on the size of your cone.) Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, then serve. 8-10 cones.