Screws, nails and open safety pins hidden in dog treats

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEVILLE, Minnesota – Residents of a Minneapolis neighborhood are keeping a close eye on their dogs, after someone has been hiding screws, nails and even open safety pins in dog treats, and leaving them out for unsuspecting dogs.

According to WCCO, it all started when one dog owner noticed his dog chewing on a hot dog that turned out to have a nail stuffed inside it. The family went around to neighbors to warn them, and discovered that other dogs had already ingested the doctored treats, and not just hot dogs. Some residents found steel wool with unknown capsules stuffed inside them. One woman had to have 11 screws surgically removed from one of her dogs’ stomachs. Another neighborhood dog died after a walk recently,  and now everyone is wondering if that dog ate one of the treats.

Police are investigating and are asking anyone else whose dog was affected to contact them.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.