Fire Department, EMS respond to second carbon monoxide incident in Cleveland

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND - Cleveland Fire and EMS responded to another incident of elevated carbon monoxide levels at the Neal Terrace Apartments on Cleveland's west side Sunday morning.  This was the second time since Wednesday.

Cleveland Fire Chief Pat Kelly said this time the CO detector alerted the family in unit 24 that something was wrong. "One of their children was experiencing signs and symptoms of the flu which is common to carbon monoxide.  So, Division of Fire responded here and we determined that they had elevated amounts of carbon monoxide in their apartment -- like 65 parts per million,” Fire Chief Kelly said.

Those levels can be life-threatening.  Chief Kelly said an adult and five children were taken to the hospital for oxygen treatments.  Firemen also found the CO leak was affecting the unit next door where another family of five lives.

"Their unit was shut down as a precaution also and ventilated.  They weren't transported to the hospital and they will make other arrangements on where they are going to stay," Fire Chief Kelly added.

Limarie Hammock and her two children returned to their home Saturday.  They recovered from the carbon monoxide poisoning that sent them to the hospital Wednesday.   She was surprised to hear of a second CO incident at the apartment complex in just days. "I don't know. I be wondering if I am safe to be here.  That's scary though that it happened again – really scary,” Hammock said.

Since Wednesday's incident, the management company has put a second carbon monoxide detector in the units.  So, now there is one in the basement and one upstairs.  But, that doesn’t make Hammock feel any safer. "You know I almost lost my kids in my face.  I don't really trust this," she said.

Chief Kelly said the problem seems to be with the boilers and they need to be inspected to make sure they are working properly in all 48-units at the Neal Terrace Apartments. “We're going to ensure that we get to the bottom of this and make sure this is safe for these folks to stay here," Fire Chief Kelly said.